I've always wanted cup holders in my car, so when I learnt that there was an optional extra cup holder for the centre console I was on it.

It's a north south cup holder, with oddments tray and coin holder. The genuine BMW part numbers for both are as follows:

  • Black Cup Holder: 51168217953
  • Black Oddment Tray and Coin holder: 51168217957

Note, there are different part numbers for the grey and beige interiors, you can find them on realoem.com

BMW E46 330d cup holder retrofit genuine part

After a little bit of research, it seemed there were mixed views as to whether the cup holder unit would fit in a car that was fitted with an arm rest. I did ask a number of people if the molding was different, so it physically couldn't fit, or if the cup holders were rendered useless by the armrest when down, but free when it's up.

I didn't receive any answers to my questions, so I decided to dive in and just buy it. I paid £38.99 brand new, delivered from a genuine BMW dealer. I received my dual cup holder kit with oddments tray and coin holder. The coin holder is a nifty design, but totally impractical in the car.

The cup holders and oddments tray are two separate items, but slot together when fitted i.e. modular. This makes the cup holder and oddments tray interchangeable with other insert designs.

BMW E46 330d saloon cup holders 51168217953 BMW E46 330d saloon Black Oddment Tray and Coin holder 51168217957

To remove my current roller door (tambour door) covered oddments tray, you simply squeeze the sides and it unclips from the centre console. Very easy removal indeed, took only seconds.

Predictably with this car though, underneath was a hidden treasure, a lot of dirt, dust and a receipt for something. I have no idea how the previous owner managed to get it under there. Needless to say I cleaned the area thoroughly.

Before and After

BMW E46 330d roller door tray removed dirty BMW E46 330d roller door tray removed

Fitting the new cup holders and oddments tray was as easy as the removal, it just popped straight in. It fits great, so that rules out the mold difference I suspected earlier. The unit looks really nice in there, an improvement over the previous as it was scuffed quite badly.

Before and After

BMW E46 330d saloon roller door oddments tray BMW E46 330d saloon cup holders

BMW E46 roller door oddments tray with armrest down BMW E46 cup holder with armrest in down position

As for not fitting in a car with an arm rest, I can confirm that in fact it does fit. As you can see from the photos below, the front cup holder is accessible with any size cup even with the arm rest down, and the rear cup holder can house a can of coke in any position.

Overall I'm really pleased I decided to take the plunge and just order the cup holders, it should make a nice improvement to long motorway journeys and general usability of the car.

BMW E46 armrest covering rear cup holder BMW E46 cup holder and armrest clearance test

clearance of coke can to BMW E46 armrest when in rear cupholder

Let me know what you think in the comments below, have you changed your roller door tray for something other than cup holders?